Plastic Bag Ban and Paper Bag Fee

Ordinance 17-08
On October 10, 2017, the Avon Town Council passed on second reading an ordinance that prohibits retailers from providing disposable plastic bags to customers at the point of sale. In addition, the ordinance enacts a disposable paper bag fee of $0.10 for each disposable paper bag used during a purchase.
THE DATE RETAILERS NEED TO BE IN COMPLIANCE WITH THIS ORDINANCE IS MAY 1, 2018.


Upon the effective date (May 1, 2018), it shall be unlawful for any retailer to provide disposable plastic bags at the point of sale. Retailers shall only offer a reusable bag or disposable paper bag to a customer. In addition, a consumer making a purchase from a retailer shall pay at the time of purchase a disposable paper bag fee of ten cents ($0.10) for each disposable paper bag used during a purchase. Retailers shall be required to remit the disposable paper bag fee to the Town and may retain a portion of the disposable paper bag fee as follows:

--- For the first twelve (12) months following the effective date of the disposable paper bag fee, each retailer that is located in a permanent building in the Town containing at least four thousand (4,000) square feet of retail space may retain twenty percent (20%) of the disposable paper bag fee to be taken as a retailer credit against the disposable paper bag fee due to the Town. The remaining eighty percent (80%) of the disposable bag fee shall be remitted to the Town. Thereafter the entirety of all collected disposable paper bag fees shall be remitted to the Town.
--- Each retailer that operates in less than four thousand (4,000) square feet of retail space may retain one hundred percent (100%) of the disposable paper bag fee.

To view the ordinance in its entirety, click HERE.
 
Background
This ordinance stems from the Climate Action Plan for the Eagle County Community (CAP), as well as the Town of Avon 2017-2019 Strategic Plan (Strategic Plan). The Council adopted the CAP on December 13, 2016, and followed that up with approval of an Implementation Schedule for the CAP on March 28, 2017. The Implementation Schedule details a “Reduce use of single use shopping bags county-wide” program and recommends a one (1) year timeframe for implementation. The Strategic Plan, adopted on July 25, 2017, details a “Tier 1 Priority” to “Consider legislation to end the use of plastic bags and non-compostable take-out containers by retailers and restaurants in the Town of Avon.”

For more information about this ordinance, call 970-748-4404.