Avon, CO – The Avon Town Council held a regular meeting on January 24th. Highlights of the meeting include the following:
- Coby Cosper took his oath as Avon’s Deputy Chief of Police after more than five years with the Avon Police Department. Jeremy Holmstrom and Matt Jamison were also sworn in as Sergeants.
- Council approved $21,500 in cash funding and in-kind support for the production of Zoppé Italian Family Circus at Harry A. Nottingham Park on September 8-10, 2017. Several members of the recently appointed Ad Hoc Special Events Committee reviewed the application and recommended the event dates.
- Council approved the first reading of Ordinance 17-01, accepting the donation of the Eaglebend Affordable Housing Property, authorizing disposal of such property, and approving a new project agreement between the Town of Avon and Eaglebend Affordable Housing Corporation (EBAHC). EBAHC desires to refinance existing debt on the Eaglebend Affordable Housing Property with an approximately current outstanding balance of $11,965,000 in order to accelerate capital improvements to the Property, to take advantage of low interest rates, and to provide for more favorable amortization of the debt. EBAHC proposes refinancing by and through the Colorado Housing and Finance Authority, which would require conveyance of the Property to the Town of Avon by donation, then conveyance to CHFA as gift. CHFA would then do a final conveyance back to EBAHC. The public hearing and second reading is scheduled for February 14th.
- Council approved an increase in the Public Safety Facility construction budget in the amount of $300,000 for a total of $6,320,855. There were two unanticipated challenges at the beginning of the project. The first resulted from poor soils encountered during installation of the piles where the foundation rests. The second resulted from groundwater encountered on the site that was not anticipated in the design.
The Town Council’s next meeting is February 14th at 5:00 p.m. Agendas and packet materials can be found at www.avon.org. For more information on the January 24th meeting or future meetings, please contact Preston Neill, Executive Assistant to the Town Manager at 970-748-4404 or email@example.com.
- Council considered several different options in the replacement of the stage curtain with doors at Harry A. Nottingham Park Pavilion. Direction was provided for town staff to further explore a door system for comparison to a significantly less expensive roll down door. In addition, Council would like to see if there is a possibility of having a portion of either door being made of a translucent material. At a future Council meeting, staff will present the additional research and options.