Avon, CO – The Avon Town Council held a special meeting on September 21st. Topics included the following:
• The November 8th meeting is cancelled. The Town Council will meet on November 15th to swear in Council members elected on November 8th. Mayor and Mayor Pro Tem will be elected in addition to regular business.
•The Town Council directed staff to begin the process with Traer Creek to terminate the Declaration of Protective Covenants for Benchmark at Beaver Creek Subdivision. The covenants, some 42 years later, do not have any valid purpose and are outdated and duplicitous with Town’s Development Code. The covenants are an impediment to certain retail commercial deals, which in the Town and Traer Creek would like to eliminate.
•Design and bid funds of $5,000 were approved for the Buck Creek connector
The major focus of the special meeting was to review special events in the Town of Avon over the period 2013 – 2016. Direction from Council for 2017 special events included:
• Mayor Jennie Fancher will appoint eight persons to an Ad Hoc Special Event Advisory Committee. The Mayor plans to appoint business representatives, including but not limited to retail, restaurant and lodging, one or more event producers, and a nonprofit board or staff member to one year terms. The Committee is being charged initially with the review of all proposed special events and providing recommendations to the Town Council for calendar dates and funding. The evaluation of event success and recommendations for special event solicitation will also be valuable work by the Ad Hoc Special Event Advisory Committee. Interested persons should email Mayor Fancher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Recognizing appointment of the Committee will take time, Council directed that special event applications for 2017 dates and/or funding be accepted now.
• A major review of the Town’s process for special event production was held with numerous agreement changes approved to streamline processes and eliminate unnecessary requirements.
• Council delayed direction on whether special events held on Town property or financially supported by the Town may have marijuana sponsors.
• Council generally did not support camping on Town property for special event attendees, but will be open to recommendations of the Ad Hoc Special Event Advisory Committee.
• Council asked staff to evaluate bringing free special events in-house, meaning the Town would retain artists and fully produce the events, with solicitation and management of liquor, food and merchandise vendors.
Town Council’s next meeting is September 27th at 5:00 p.m. The agenda and packet materials can be found at www.avon.org.