Colorado Marijuana Law

Colorado Marijuana Law

This information is provided as an overview of marijuana laws in Colorado and specifically of regulations in Avon. It is the responsibility of each individual to understand and obey the laws and understand that consuming, selling and cultivating marijuana continues to be illegal federally. This information is not medical advice about the health or safety risks of consuming marijuana nor is it legal advice on the compliance of retail marijuana laws. The information on this site reflects the regulations in the State of Colorado and with the Town of Avon as they exist on June 1, 2014.

Residents and Visitors

What is Colorado’s Marijuana Law?
In November 2012, Colorado voters approved Amendment 64. The amendment became law on Dec. 10, 2012. According to the law, adults 21 and older can possess up to one ounce of marijuana and grow up to six plants privately.

Where can I consume marijuana legally?
Consumption of marijuana may be allowed in private locations providing it is not prohibited by the property owner.

The open or public consumption of marijuana is not allowed in the following locations: public ways, streets, sidewalks, alleys, bicycle paths, trails, golf courses, public buildings, parks, open spaces, parking lots, shopping centers, places of business usually open to the general public, and automobiles or other vehicles located on public property or public right of way. Generally, anytime a person in public or outside a private residence can see another person consuming marijuana, it is a violation.

Can I possess marijuana? And how much?
Adults 21 and older are allowed to possess up to 1 ounce of retail marijuana.

How much marijuana can I purchase at one time?
Colorado residents 21 and older can purchase marijuana from a licensed retailer and possess up to 1 ounce of marijuana at a time. Non-residents can purchase up to ¼ ounce at a time from a licensed retailer.

How old do I have to be to purchase, possess or consumer retail marijuana?
You must be 21 and older to buy, possess or use retail marijuana. It is illegal to give or sell retail marijuana to minors.

What is the difference between medical and retail marijuana?
Only licensed retail marijuana stores may sell retail marijuana, and only to those 21 and older.
Medical marijuana requires a state red card, which can only be obtained by Colorado residents with a recommendation from a doctor that a patient suffers from a debilitating medical condition that may benefit from medical marijuana. Medical marijuana patients can obtain marijuana from a licensed center, a primary care giver or self-grow. For more information about medical marijuana, please visit the
Colorado Department of Public Health and the Environment.

Is there a DUI-like equivalent for driving under the influence of marijuana?
Yes. It is illegal to drive under the influence of marijuana and it can result in a DUI, just like alcohol. Anyone with 5 nanograms or more of delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (known as THC) per milliliter in whole blood (CRS 42-4-1301) or impaired to the slightest degree while driving can be arrested for DUI. The consequences of DUI is dependent on the driver but they can include fines, jail time and a revoked license.

Can I consume marijuana inside a smoke-friendly hotel room?
It is up to the discretion of the hotel if it allows marijuana smoke to be consumed in their smoking rooms (the Town of Avon smoking regulation limit all smoking to 10% of rooms). You should ask the hotel if they allow it.

Can I consume marijuana on Vail Mountain or Beaver Creek Mountain?
No. Marijuana continues to be illegal under federal law. Consequently, consumption of marijuana on U.S. Forest Service land, including Vail Mountain and Beaver Creek Mountain, is illegal under federal law. In addition, Vail Resorts does not permit the consumption of marijuana in or on any of its lifts, facilities or premises under its control. Using ski facilities under the influence of drugs or alcohol is against the law and a violation of the Colorado Ski Safety Act. Those found in violation of the Colorado Ski Safety Act risk losing their skiing and snowboarding privileges and, upon conviction, are subject to a fine of up to $1,000.

Where can I purchase marijuana legally?
State regulations have been enacted that allow for retail sales by licensed providers. There are no licensed retail marijuana outlets in the Town of Avon. Unlicensed transactions, including selling marijuana to another person for a price, is illegal.

What are some guidelines to help me use marijuana responsibly?
Responsible choices for recreational marijuana use are similar to those for alcohol. If you choose to consume marijuana, please do so responsibly, safely and prudently:
  1. Be well informed about the legal and health risks of marijuana use.
  2. Respect the rights of individuals who do not wish to be exposed to marijuana smoke.
  3. Appoint a designated driver if you are under the influence.
  4. Obey the laws and regulations governing recreational marijuana.

What other legislation regulates smoking in Avon?
Town of Avon law prohibits smoking in public places, places of employment, outdoor seating areas, service lines, recreational facilities, and smoking within a 25’ perimeter of a smoke-free area. Additionally, County ordinance prohibits smoking in any chair lift/gondola line or bar/restaurant patio area.

What is the penalty for violating marijuana possession or consumption laws in Avon?
The general penalties are as follows, with certain limited exceptions: Use of marijuana in public is a petty offense. Violation of possession limits vary between petty offense, misdemeanor, and felony depending upon the amount of substance and circumstances.

Parents and Neighbors

What is the penalty for someone under the age of 21 who is caught possessing or consuming marijuana?
The penalty varies between a petty offense, misdemeanor, and felony depending upon the amount of substance possessed.

Can I legally give or sell marijuana to someone under the age of 21?
No. It is illegal to give retail marijuana to anyone younger than 21.

How can I tell if my child is using marijuana?
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the following are common signs to look for if parents suspect their child is using marijuana.1 He/she might:
  • Seem dizzy or uncoordinated
  • Seem silly and giggly for no reason
  • Have very red, bloodshot eyes
  • Have a hard time remembering things that just happened
  • Be in possession of drugs and drug paraphernalia, including pipes and rolling papers
  • Have an odor on clothes and in the bedroom
  • Use incense and other deodorizers
  • Use eye drops
  • Wear clothing or jewelry or have posters that promote drug use
  • Have unexplained use of money

For more information on the dangers of under-aged marijuana use visit Official State of Colorado Website for Retail Marijuana Information & Resources under the Parents tab or Denver Health.

What should I do if I suspect or know my child has consumed marijuana?
Call the Poison Control Hotline at 1-800-222-1222 or if symptoms are severe, call 911 or go to the emergency room.

What should I do if I suspect or know my pet has consumed marijuana?
Call your veterinarian. Pets should not consumer marijuana.

Can I legally grow marijuana at home?
Yes. Adults can grow up to 6 marijuana plants per person. However, no more than 12 total plants are allowed per residence regardless of the number of adults living there.

What should an Avon resident or visitor do if they see a violation of marijuana laws.
Call the police non-emergency number at (970) 748-4040.