Community Swim Program
Dear Avon residents, members of the Vail Valley and visitors,
Welcome swimmers! I am excited to be sharing with you the Avon Recreation Department’s Community Swim Program. My staff is focused on the preparation needed to fully launch all swim levels of this program for great success beginning on day one. Our promise is to deliver a high quality swim program, which meets your needs, and which ensures all swimmers can achieve his or her highest level of proficiency, whether that is learning to swim, continuing as a recreational swimmer or taking on the challenge of competitive swimming. Achievement in these objectives will be successful through:
- Hiring qualified and motivated swim coaches and swim instructors presents opportunities for all ages and ability levels to learn to swim and to advance their swimming abilities and aspirations.
- Tracking the success of each swimmer, through detailed recordkeeping of swim meet race times, and records of each participant’s progress in swimming progression, will aid in meeting swimmer growth in the sport.
- Partnering with the Eagle County School District, and specifically with the Avon Elementary School, will be the best conduit to ensuring all children learn to swim.
- Providing financial aid will increase swim program participation for all levels of our socioeconomic demographic. This is an important founding principle in our program.
- Fully engaging with parents to ensure we, as staff, are meeting swimmer needs, providing the competitive challenge required and listening to concerns and ideas is a core value of our program.
- Supporting the formation of a parent nonprofit booster club to promote the Town and parents work in collaboration to fully meet the needs of our swimmers.
I believe that swimming is a vital lifetime activity – a right rather than a privilege and, as such, I trust you share in the Avon Recreation Center philosophy that all children have the ability to learn to swim; and that all swimmers should have an opportunity to improve swimming skills and achieve success at his or her level of ability, from novice to competitor. My staff and I are ready to work with you. Again, welcome to the Recreation Department’s swim program.